Welcome to the Parents' Page. If you are already a Spinney parent or you are looking to send your children to The Spinney, please look at the items below and at the links on the right hand side.
You are of course very welcome to come and visit the school in person - our contact details can be found here.
|Supporting your child with learning at home|
The school is following the New Curriculum that became statutory in September 2015. Click here to find information about it.
There are many ways that you can suport your child' learning at home. In addition to the homework they may each week, finding time to read with your child regularly will make a huge difference to their progress in literacy.
The approach you take in reading with your child will vary depending on your child's ability. This may include reading poems and stories to your child, sharing a picture book and discussing the content, asking questions about what your child has read and so on.
The resources below include a prompt sheet on the strategy questions to use, a presentation and lists of the 44 phonemes. We hope you find them useful. Happy Reading!
- Reading With Your Child
- Questions to ask your child when reading fiction together
- Key questions
- Checklist of the 44 phonemes
If you'd like to look at online resources that the children can use to help their learning, go to the children's Fun and games page.
We believe that a warm welcome, a positive approach and easy access to information are key to securing effective home/school communication. There are a number of ways for information to be shared between home and school, including:
- A weekly newsletter
- Whiteboards by every classroom for day-to-day news and updates
- "Stay & Play" days and school open days
- Celebration Sharing Assemblies
- Termly "Teaching and Learning Together" events calendars
- Curriculum maps of the learning planned for the term
- Open Fridays - pop in with you child to have a look at your child's work
- Informal communications at the end of the school day
- A post box available in the front entrance for your suggestions and idea
- The school uses Ofsted's ParentView to gather feedback about the school. If you wish to express your views about the school via this website, please click here.
- Termly parent-teacher meetings and pupil progress reports
- Friendly, helpful staff in the office who can help direct you to any information you might need
- A dedicated Spinney Family Participation coordinator to signpost ways for you to get even more involved in your child's learning in school or to suggest additional services
- Senior teachers and the Headteacher and/or Deputy headteacher around on the playground at the start and end of most days
- This website!
|Parent Channel TV|
Parent Channel TV is an online service designed to support and encourage parents and carers of children aged 5-19, with a collection of videos addressing day-to-day questions and concerns spanning wellbeing, behaviour and learning.
|Safe and effective use of computers|
Please visit our Computer safety page for advice on the safe and effective use of computers for learning and entertainment.